Join us to protest at #MillionsMissing 2022!
#MillionsMissing SEPTEMBER 2022 is right around the corner! Below is information on the DC event (which can be amplified around the world online). If you are looking for UK specific events, click the links above.
#MEAction will host #MillionsMissing 2022 on September 20th outside the White House in Washington D.C. to demand bold, urgent governmental action for the millions of people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), Long COVID, and other infection-associated, complex- chronic diseases.
The pandemic has exposed to the wider public what our communities have known for decades—that government, healthcare, and society at large have systematically deprioritized or erased people with disabling complex chronic diseases. This historical pattern laid the groundwork for the circumstance that people with Long COVID now find themselves in—little medical care, no FDA-approved treatments, and little societal support. The number of people getting sick and not recovering after COVID-19 infection constitutes a growing public health crisis, with huge consequences for all.
Yet even in the face of this collective devastation, the government is not stepping up. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) continually trivialize and dismiss us. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is not responding urgently. Congress has not prioritized legislation that could improve the lives of people with Long COVID, ME, and associated diseases.
We ask President Biden to take bold action where our institutions have failed us. Join us on September 20th, 2022.
Join Us for the DC Event
We will gather in-person at 12:00pm ET at a location near the White House, rain or shine. There will be virtual training prior to the event. This event will include non-violent civil disobedience but you are welcome and encouraged to participate if you want to protest without civil disobedience.
Leading up to the event, you will be given the exact location of the protest, meeting places and directions.
You will be responsible for your travel and accommodation to attend the protest.
Training sessions will be available shortly.
** The COVID-19 pandemic is not over. There is significant risk to attending in person. We will have community rules, mask requirements, and do everything we can to minimize risk. Our online component will also be impactful and measurable.
At Home Event
About Being An Activist From Home
Yes, this is just as important as going in person. We need a two pronged approach, so please know this is crucially important.
(There will be multiple actions and you can choose to do them all or just one.)
There will be a training session to prepare us for social media activism and other actions you can engage in to amplify the event and to put pressure on our government to make sure they cannot ignore us. You will be emailed a toolkit closer to the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why protest in front of the White House?
- The White House represents the whole of government and we need a robust government response now.
Will there be local events?
- Not for September. There will be an event in the US and a few in the UK & Scotland and if you are in one of those countries and cannot attend the in-person events, taking the online and offline actions from home will be the most beneficial to the protests. We need massive amplification and we need all of the help we can get.
Will you be providing toolkits for other countries?
- Not for September. Unlike #MillionsMissing in May, we are putting all of our effort into two country events. However, if you typically run a #MillionsMissing in your own country and want to do a protest in September, we think that is amazing. We will share your successes on social media but do not have the capacity to help plan or discuss other country-specific plans. The At Home Activism guide will be applicable to anyone around the world who wants to support and amplify this event.
I am too sick to do much. How can I help?
- We are working on our At Home Activism guide to help lay out the various ways to get involved and will plan on items for individuals with varying energy levels. As always, we do not want you to push if you are too sick. We get it. We support you. We love you.
Can I donate to help a fellow activist?
- Please! You can donate here to help us provide more scholarships to individuals who wish to attend. The cost per person is approximately $500-$800 for travel and hotels.